INTRODUCTION: This past Saturday I was privileged to spend the day trout fishing on the Little Red River in Heber Springs, Arkansas. It is a beautiful river where trophy trout are waiting to be caught by anglers from around the state. Visitors to our state arrive from all over the world to try their skill at landing a huge Brown trout. I read the record was landed in 1992 and weighed over 40 pounds. Now that’s a trout. Sadly, I did not come close to pulling in a fish that size.
During the day I reflected on the current state of affairs our nation is experiencing. It is commonplace to read of scandal and embarrassing events plaguing our country. Each day’s news brings more information before us. I am appalled by the scandals:
- THE BENGHAZI TERRORIST ATTACK
- FORMER GENERAL PETRAEUS LEAVES THE CIA IN DISGRACE
- ABORTION DOCTOR, KERMIT GOSNELL CONVICTED OF MURDER
- DEBAUCHED KIDNAPPER AND SEXUAL DEVIATE ARIEL CASTRO EXPOSED
- INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE PROFILING TEA PARTY MEMBERS AND CONSERVATIVES
- PRESIDENT OBAMA AND HIS ADMINISTRATION DECEIVING THE AMERICAN PEOPLE REPEATEDLY
- FORMER SECRETARY OF STATE, HILLARY CLINTON MISLEADING THE AMERICAN PEOPLE
While I remain optimistic, I am cautious. There are too many variables. Let me state for the record, I love our nation and swore an oath to defend it. I remember the day when I raised my right hand (26May2009) and said, “I, Brandt Smith, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.” Immediately after I lowered my right hand the Colonel took hold of my right hand and while clasping my hand said, “Do not fail.”
This was a day I will never forget.
OBSERVATION: Individuals trusted to safeguard our nation have deviated from their commitment, their oath. It’s disheartening.
When I began this blog posting I mentioned I was fishing on the Little Red River in Heber Springs, Arkansas. I was there with one of my sons. As we were packing up our fishing gear and securing the boat onto the trailer, I turned to him and said, “Son, democracy works when “we the people” have confidence in our leaders. It falls apart when that trust is broken. We are now entering a time of “broken trust” and leaders are unchecked and unrestrained.” The ride home was mostly quiet.
- If men like General Petraeus fail, what are average and below average men to do?
- If terrorists can infiltrate our borders and attack at will, who is safe?
- If abortionists can murder babies for years without scrutiny, what happens to our elderly?
- If our federal government can take away our right to bear arms, how do we protect ourselves from evil?
- If the Secretary of State can repeatedly make deceptive statements regarding Benghazi for the purpose of misleading the public, do we dare consider Hillary Clinton as a viable candidate for the highest office in the land?
- If President Obama’s leadership is so poor, why was he reelected and how can we trust the office of the president in the future?
CONCLUSION: We are looking for political and military solutions to spiritual problems. We may simply be reaping what has been sown for the last several decades. I resolve to do the following:
- I will take a stand for what is right, wholesome and true
- I will stand against poor leadership in my government (local, state and national)
- I will continue to be a proud American seeking to influence my generation and future generations
- I will speak up and hold my ground
- I believe in a strong America
- I believe the issues presented by the Republican National Committee help maintain our strength
- I can be a Republican and a Christian without compromise
- I believe I can vote my conscience as a Republican by supporting candidates who hold many of the same values I hold
As a Republican my choice is—
- Strength over uncertainty. I can’t get that with the Obama administration
- Results based upon strategic thought leadership as opposed to Democratic rhetoric that promises everything, but in the end creates dependency
- Optimism and forward movement over pessimism and regression leading to oppression
- Freedom from fear
I am going to do my best to present comments and observations frequently. Please follow me on the Daily Veritatis. Leave comments and join the discussion. I need you to pass the link to all your contacts. The goal is to develop a large following linked to this blog. Watch your language and keep it clean. We don’t have to default to poor language skills to make our point.
God Bless America,